On this page you will find more information about the Anglo-American Cemetery (AAC), its history, location, opening hours, and governance. Periodical blog posts will provide additional information about the personalities who are buried at the cemetery.
During the turn-of-the-20th century, the American, British and American residents of Beirut faced a curious problem. The cemeteries where they foreign national could be buried were quickly filling up.
As such, the British Ambassador, the administration of the Syrian Protestant College (as AUB was then called) and the American Mission came together in 1913 and established and association for the Anglo-American Cemetery (AAC). A plot of land
was selected in Beirut's southern suburb of Furn el-Shubbak, which was one of the terminal
stop for the newly established Beirut Tramway. The first grave was dug in July
1914 for the British national Waldemer Vernon Vogel and is located near the
The AAC was originally registered under the British Consul, the
American Mission Press and the Syrian Protestant College. Graves for important
individuals from these and affiliated institutions are located in the AAC, especially as graves from the American Mission Cemetery were
removed to the AAC in 1960. In addition to British, Commonwealth and American
citizens, individuals with a variety of nationalities were also laid to rest in
the AAC, including individuals holding dual-citizenship. Most were members of
Protestant churches in the region, although individuals with Catholic affiliation
can also be found. In 1924, the Armenian community purchased a section of the
AAC lands to establish a distinct cemetery for their community.
The AAC is currently in a phase of rehabilitation following the
difficult years of the Lebanese Civil War. During these turbulent years, many graves
and cenotaphs were damaged, while upkeep was difficult. Restoration is
essential to restore the cemetery to its proper condition, as a sacred space
for those who have died and a peaceful respite for the living.
Guardianship over the cemetery is currently shared between the
British and American Embassies, All Saints Church, the International Community
Church and the American University of Beirut under the auspices of the
Anglo-American Cemetery Association.